Saturday, March 7, 2009

the Sydney Gay & Lesbian Mardi Gras Parade

I never gave much thought to GLTBs (Gay, Lesbian, Transexuals and Bisexuals)
I always had an open mind though. I don't judge, it is not my right nor life to...



These days, I am eager to see something different in Sydney. Something to really differentiate it from good old Malaysia. Boy, did I find just the right thing ------Mardi Gras, Sydney. Something one from Malaysia will have MORE chance seeing pink piglets fly than the sights Mardi Gras has to offer. Stauch religious Malaysia will be baffled, old uptight politicians will have jaws dropping to floors if they ever see a Gay Pride Event march down their roads, like Oxford Street Sydney, March 7, 2009. Frankly, I have to say I have NEVER seen the likes of it.

Mardi Gras:
Some cities connect with their gay pride events and others don’t. It’s hard to think of another major city that has embraced its gay pride event quite as Sydney has done. As the gay travel bible Spartacus put it, “a visit to Mardi Gras is an absolute once-in-a-lifetime (i agree) must for every gay travelling man.” Indeed many fly across the world again and again to enjoy it. (They say, the government does not stop it for its revenue earning potentials in the tourism market)
The first march took place on Saturday 24th June 1978 at 10pm and it met with police violence. The Mardi Gras was Sydney’s contribution to the international Gay Solidarity Celebrations, an event that had grown up as a result of the Stonewall riots in New York. Two thousand people followed a truck with a small PA system down Oxford Street to Hyde Park and then dispersed up to Kings Cross. After harassing the marchers for much of the route the police swooped and violently arrested 53 people. Over the months that followed more protests and arrests took place and the actions of the police came to be seen as heavy handed. By April in 1979 the parliament of New South Wales repealed the legislation that had allowed the arrests to be made and created a new Public Assemblies Act which meant that Sydneysiders do longer had to apply for a permit to have a demonstration. They simply needed to inform the police. As such that first Mardi Gras march was a major civil rights milestone beyond the gay community. (dadum, still not possible in Malaysia)




In my very humble opinion (teehee), Mardi gras is an event that gives everyone the permission/guts to wear atrocious clothing.
Exhibit As:

Excluding me of course. I looked...colourfully decent. ;)


insane

crazy


I only thought this funny, because I heard someone shout "Rainbow Party!" after seeing these bunch of willing posing girls. I found out later, the colours symbolises New Mardi Gras, the team that hosted this huge crazed party.


Willing poser. lol
haha, man boobs.
I have no idea why dressing for Halloween is supposed to express pride in Gay, but it was fun spotting absurd costumes.
guy in bikini, priceless.
whats with the wings fetish?
When the party started to look as if it is just a party for the "straight heterosexuals" to dress insane, I finally started having gays screeching to be spotted under my VERY NOOB gay radar.


Guy in TONGS! I am not sure if this guy is gay... but outfit is too alarming. Pah, my seared eyes!

hot hunks, with hot GAY bod. Silver ties, cute.

OMG, I was embaressed just taking the photo ok. I have to applaud my guts.

Transvestite. I suppose it is really a time to come out with who they are. It is odd, seeing young teenagers, normal looking people saying "HEY, *hugs* how are you doing!!!" to them. They were treated like any other. It must be invigorating for them, when they dont have to deny who they are, nor are they ostracised for it.

The parade had approximately 135+ floats passing by. They were by no means (in my opinion), artistically beautiful, but various messages were sent across.

I can understand why Teresa, my landlady said Madri Gras is disgusting. People half naked and all. For exp, why have this on a float? what does this say. I never thought I would ever see something like this in life. Teresa also said, gays tend to be more promiscuous. Really?

Girls: I know. Guys: STOP DROOLING.

Overall, the "trashy lingerie" costumes of the energetic crowd provided more entertainment that the floats itself, except a few gobsmacking ones... The 50000+ crowd that pushed and sweat, high on most probably alchohol was a sight to behold in itself. Definately an experience. The Gay pride parade was in a way for GLTBs to come out in the open, and for us normal majorities to get used to the sights of them. I have no clue as to why the trashily promiscuous outfits, but I guess it is just an idea of FUN to them. The parade was trully international, as countries from all over the world, even some where gays are illegal are here to strut their stuff. Amidst all the crazed sights, I guess they did achieve their goal of having people accept them who they are. After all, I did check up gays and lesbians after the event.

I will safely say, I will not judge GLTBs. They are who they are. According to most sites, they dont choose to be one. They are mostly confused with their sexuality growing up. Imagine being ostracised, embaressed and hateful for being who you are. That will be painful. So, I would rather not be the one to inflict pain.

"OMG, that shirt is soooo~ gay!" hahaha, I have to stop branding anything weird gay now. lol

3 comments:

Young said...

Simply awesome stuff! :D

mike said...

i saw a pic of myself at the mardi gras it looks great;

Serge said...

The GLBT community sure knows how to enjoy a Mardi Gras party! It looks like you too had a great time!