Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Smartphones - the future

I know I should be studying for upcoming events ... but I just had such an interesting conversation with my brother, Kenneth (check out his Fresh Gear site, his topic on why PDA?) I could not resist to blog about it.

I will be very brief, I have no time to share all I know.

My bro was showing me a few articles stating that Sony Erricson, a second-after our ever popular Nokia in slumping in sales, and making consecutive huge losses. "Why?" I asked. In my mind, almost everyone had either nokia or Sony Erricson in Malaysia. He said data phones is the future.

A few more articles backs this statement up, " handsets sales fall, while smartphones increase"

The best person to tell this lesson is Sony Erricson. They are considering to even drop their 'cybershot' and 'walkman' brand! OMG right? Thats what made their previous 100 million handsets sell before. But, they will be dropping it soon, because it is slowly losing relevance in the market. Consumers now demand an ultraportable laptop- the smartphone (mobile, music, internet, camera, other devices ALL IN ONE). High end users are leading the trend, its now Nokia E-series, RIM Blackberry, Apple Iphone, HTC .... in that order. And may I add that Palm seems to be back in the game with their gorgeous Pre, and might possibly break that tight competition in the smartphone era. Nokia unleashed its first step into touch screen already, with its 5800 XpressMusic.. smart (although still late in the game, and a PATHETIC touchscreen first attempt).
Deviating slightly, a funny comment on XpressMusic 5800:
It feels like Nokia is being dragged kicking and screaming into the world of touch. Maybe it is.

ANYWAY,

Why is data phones-smartphones/PDA getting ahead? Because of the advent of data plans. 3G, EDGE, bla bla, is going to be ever popular. And why not? Internet was a boom, it created possibilities, market, new opportunities, IT literally. The young generation are so keen on keeping in touch with friends, they msn, skype, facebook, googletalk, yahoo, bla bla the list never ends. They are so tech-savvy, they CANT LIVE WITHOUT INTERNET. AND SOON THEY WONT BE ABLE TO LIVE WITHOUT 3G and whatnots like that. Imagine, now www in your palm. Here in Australia, 3G is a almost must have in networks, Malaysia is getting there as well.

With web browsing made easier on mobile phones, smartphones will be the ultimate gadget. For the young and enterprise alike. Everyone wants to do everything in one ultimate amazing gadget. Look at the future, we will see ...

No comments: