Thursday, April 16, 2009

fine white sands of Bondi Beach

Magnificent view ain't it?
The price of such scenic views of the Bondi Beach for your house is at least $1 million. *faints*

oooo lala~
My ugly photos [not the fault of camera but my pathetic skills] really understates the breathtaking view.
On my defense, I was walking while taking the photos. Guys (excluding big bro and other male expert photographers) don't have the patience even to wait for me to take photos... haiz



(under my stubborn insistence, we managed to take a few photos)
me and khar mun


Tin (Hongkie, currently studying at University of Sydney, and majoring in Aerospace engineering and commerce) and Khar Mun
We took separate photos, as we could not catch some stranger to take a group one for us.


I know it is a long overdue post. In fact, the Bondi trip was slightly more than a week ago. I just never got around to blog about it.

Bondi has lived up to its famous Australian Beach reputation. I was a little put out in the beginning of this year, when my big bro who visited Bondi before said that it was no different and not more impressive than Malaysian beaches.

I don't know what was he thinking. The fine sand was so fine, it will fall through a sieve easily. It was so nice and comforting to just walk in it. Its like, instead of CRUNCH CRUNCH, it was like swish swish... If you get what I mean. lol

I have been to Coogee beach (first beach I visited in Aussie), and was not so impressed, so I was not expecting much from Bondi. The only interesting thing I noted in Cogoee beach was that people really do sunbath topless there. And excuse me, but I could not help noticing that the girls who sunbath topless happen to have pretty hot, if not good figures. It is a wonder to me why the beach is not a tourist attraction for the perverted. People here are so respectable, it is astounding.

What Coogee was lacking was the surfer dudes I was expecting. It was all in in Bondi, thanks to the humongous powerful waves present there. I know it looks tiny here, but up close, that wave is much taller than tiny ol' me. The waves were so powerful, it sent me rolling 2 metres back. Khar Mun could not save me in time, and ended up laughing at the sight of me churning in the sea.

-.- heartless.

So, instead of spraying water at each other and building childish white sand castles as we usually do at the Malaysian beaches. Bondi beach offered a new activity to do - jumping waves. Don't underestimate this activity, it is not for the weak, and the extremely light (Brenda would not have stand a chance at this, if I was pushed back 2 metres by the waves, I reckon Brenda will be flying 6 metres back). It may be fun at first, but it is very tiring. The guys were up to the challenge, and they went deeper and deeper into the sea for stronger waves. Khar Mun stood his ground most of the time, him being presumably the strongest and also heaviest. Tin could jump very high and avoid most of the impact. Me, I was short, light and don't jump comparatively higher. So obviously I was POORLY built for wave jumping. Being washed away by the waves 4 out of 5 waves got tiring, and the water was sooooooo COLD.

Before long, I had to surrender to the shores. And even that was bad, because being out of the water was too cold to withstand, with strong winds billowing at my sea water drenched body. So I was in a dilemma, it was either face the waves or the cold. I found myself sitting in the shore for 2 minutes and then running into the water for another 2, then coming out again. Pah...i was in a pitiful state really. I think we all only stayed in the water for only an hour, as we came to the beach late (after the sun has set, so the beach was cold). I was thankful to leave the water by then, as I was already shivering and numb with cold. My feet were so cold, I could not even feel the sands rubbing at my feet anymore. I literally felt NOTHING.

On the way to the toilet, all I was thinking was a nice hot shower to warm myself. To my utter dismay and disbelief, I discovered there was no hot water option in the showers!!!! I almost cried. I realised another thing, there was no doors covering the shower stands as well. I walked around the toilet twice to make sure, but there wasn't any showers with a door. There were no other people showering then for some reason. So I did not know whether I was supposed to shower naked or with my swimsuit on. I imagined that if I showered naked, and actually Australians don't do that, I will look very stupid and it will be infinitely embarrassing. So, I opted showering in a swimsuit.

I wouldn't count it as showering actually, as my tolerance for cold was very very low then, I was running in and out of the shower stall every 2 seconds. I am telling the truth. In the end, I gave up, I would rather be sticky with salt water than die of cold.

our only group photo. I was wearing Khar Mun's extra shirt, with mine, because it was still too cold.

I know it seemed that the trip was disastrous, but it was still really really fun nonetheless. I would recommend being blasted by waves to anyone daring. I will make sure I will be going in a hot afternoon in the future though.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I was as cute as you I'd probably just go ahead and shower in the nude and not care who could see. I always feel like such a dork in the ladies locker room at my gym, since I'm the only woman in there that showers in her swimsuit after a swim in the pool. I envy the ladies who just strip down out of their swimsuits and shower properly in the nude.

Janice